Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Kelsey's Birth Story!!!
Wow it's been almost two months since I've been here! Life couldn't be better as a family of four, Mark adores Kelsey and the feeling is mutual. I need to type up her birth story so I can remember all the details, it was a fast and furious birth which was a little surprising considering how little progress I checked in with. Here we go...
So I checked into the hospital around 4am to get the induction started, the monitors showed I was having contractions but they weren't strong or showing a consistent pattern. I want to make a note here that it was the same room that I delivered Mark in which I had secretly hoped for. They checked me around five before starting the pitocin and I was only 2cm and 70% and she was still hanging out pretty high. Once they started the pitocin the contractions picked up and they were harder this time around, I was given the go ahead for an epi but I wanted to labor as much as I could on my own. Around 8 the nurse checked me again and at this point I was 3-4 cm and 90%, the nurse "helped" stretch my cervix during this check and dear lord that hurt! Around 8:30 dr came and broke my water and at this point we discovered I had excess amniotic fluid which is most likely why Kelsey wouldn't drop and engage. By 9:30 I had my epidural in place because contractions were getting intense. Around 10:30 they checked and I was at 5, I was also feeling nauseous which I threw up during labor with Mark so I asked for zofran to help manage it. Around 12:30 the pain was picking up despite having an epi so I asked to be checked and I was only at 6. At 1:00 the pain really became intense so I asked the nurse to check and to our surprise I was at 8cm. Then 15 minutes later the pressure was intense and my epidural was doing nothing once again, the nurse checked and I was 10 and ready to push!! We did a couple practice pushes but since Kelsey was right there I needed to stop until the dr got there. Within minutes the dr was there and ready to deliver my daughter, it only took two contractions and pushing for 4 minutes and Kelsey was here and I barely ripped this time! It seemed crazy and fast at the time bc we went from sending texts that I was at 8 and progressing quickly to Kelsey is here in 30 minutes! They think I may just progress too quickly at the end for the epi to be super effective since it failed both times once I start to transition and that apparently 6cm is my magic number for things to shift into gear. She had jaundice as well, actually worse but luckily we were able to take her home with a biliblanket and skip a hospital stay :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment